Un-Fried Chicken Fingers
-Nonstick cooking spray
-2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
-1/2 c. light mayonnaise
-1 tsp. Dijon-style mustard
-1/2 c. Italian bread crumbs
-1 Tbs. Old Bay seasoning
-1/2 tsp. garlic powder
-1/2 tsp. Creole seasoning
-1/8 tsp. black pepper
-Dash of cayenne pepper
-1/2 tsp. dried thyme
-1/2 tsp. dried basil
-1/2 tsp dried oregano
1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Set a rack on a foil-lined baking sheet. Spray the rack generously with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. Put the chicken in a large bowl of ice water. Mix the mayonnaise and mustard in a small bowl. Set both bowls aside.
3. Put remaining ingredients (bread crumbs through oregano) in a pie plate, and combine well.
4. One at a time, remove the chicken breasts from the ice water and pat dry with paper towels. Trim off fat. Between 2 sheets of wax paper, pound the chicken breast with a mallet or rolling pin until it is about 1/3″ thick. Cut the chicken into strips.
5. Brush the mayonnaise-and-mustard mixture on each piece of chicken until coated thoroughly, then transfer the chicken to the pie plate and bread each piece. Put the chicken on the prepared rack and spray each piece lightly with cooking spray. Repeat process with remaining chicken breasts.
6. Place the baking sheet in the bottom shelf of the oven, and bake for about 40 minutes, or until the coating crisps and browns.
Serve with barbecue sauce or another dipping sauce. Makes 5 servings.
I skipped the Old Bay and Creole seasoning (didn’t have any and didn’t pick up any at the store-oops), and added in a dash of paprika, seasoning salt, and garlic powder. We ate this with Hidden Valley spicy ranch-very good! Also-who decided to call them chicken fingers? Chickens don’t have fingers.